Thursday, April 10, 2008

Filing Your Tax Return Without Going Nuts

10 Apr 2008 14:30 Africa/Lagos

Filing Your Tax Return Without Going Nuts

Even at the 11th Hour, There's Still Hope as the 2007 Tax Season Winds Down

LITTLE ROCK, Ark., April 10 /PRNewswire/ --

April is a stressful time of the year for many, as the close of tax season often raises already-high anxiety levels. Nevertheless, J. Gregg Rollins, president and chief executive officer of, an Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-authorized e-filing provider, notes that common sense and attention to detail are all it takes to get most taxpayers past last-minute hurdles.

Rollins notes some surprising e-filing mistakes: "Not entering the correct social security number and date-of-birth for the e-filer and his dependents top the list." Other common errors include submitting the wrong last name for the filer, his spouse or their children. Entering an incorrect bank routing and bank account number is also another frequent mistake made by e-filers. "Your refund will be delayed if that happens," warns Rollins.

Before sitting down to start on taxes, Rollins offers some common-sense advice: "Read the instructions. Many people skip this step, but such shortcuts can waste time in the long run and also cost you money." He adds these tips to make e-filing of taxes at a late date a less-stressful experience:

-- Determine which tax forms you need before selecting a service. Not all
e-file providers provide the forms that a taxpayer may need to
accurately complete his return.

-- Divorced or Separated Parents. If you and a divorced or separated
spouse share custody, pay careful attention to properly completing the
dependent section. Be sure to correctly list the tax credit that
you're entitled to and that neither parent "double-claim" a credit
pertaining to the off-spring.

-- Get organized. Make sure your W-2s and 1099s are accurate, get your ID
numbers straight and write down your social security numbers exactly
as they appear.

-- Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. What's worse than an IRS
audit? Going it alone. Choose an e-filing provider that offers
support.'s Audit Assistance Program will hire and pay
for a certified public accountant to represent the e-filer in the
event of an IRS audit for a fee.

If your e-filed return is not accepted because of error, there is a short window of opportunity, usually a few days, to make corrections, resubmit and avoid interest and penalties that may be due. To avoid the hassle, start the process now, advises Rollins. Late returns filed after April 15th without an extension are subject to greater scrutiny by the IRS.


As one of the most popular online tax filing companies, serves multiple purposes: it enables e-filers to prepare, submit and monitor their federal and state return's progress. It also transmits their direct deposit information to receive a tax refund. Users can make online payments through direct debit. All information is protected by a variety of security services including the TRUSTe Privacy Program, ScanAlert(TM) Hacker Safe and a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption certificate.

Federal tax returns can be e-filed using for $17.76 and all State returns supported at $12.88. Taxpayers may also take advantage of e-filing federal tax returns through the Electronic Refund Deposit option, which is available at an additional fee. This feature is used by those who do not have a credit or debit card or who chose not to use either. And offers customer service at no charge to registered users.

For more information, visit


CONTACT: Jennefer Witter of The Boreland Group Inc. for,

Web site: Citizen Tax

No comments :